Firm Logo

University Place Workers Compensation Lawyer

Experienced University Place Workers Compensation Lawyer Pursues Recovery and Justice for Clients Hurt at Work in Pierce County and Throughout Washington State

Have you been injured in a work accident or been diagnosed with a work-related disease or illness? The workers’ compensation system in Washington state may entitle you to certain benefits that can help as you recover from your injury or illness. While these benefits are legally guaranteed for workplace injuries and occupational diseases, workers sometimes face obstacles in getting their workers’ compensation claims approved. If you find yourself in this situation, a University Place workers’ compensation lawyer at Smith Duran Law can help. Our attorneys are dedicated to giving back to our community and to fighting for justice on behalf of hard-working individuals in Pierce County and across Washington State. We fight hard to prevent L&I or your employer from denying or cutting off the benefits you are entitled to under the law.

When you have suffered a workplace injury or an occupational disease, you deserve the benefits available under the Washington state workers’ compensation system. Reach out to Smith Duran Law for a free initial case evaluation with a University Place workers compensation lawyer to learn more about your legal rights to workers’ comp. 

What Benefits Does the Workers’ Compensation System Provide?

After you have been diagnosed with a work injury or occupational disease, you may wonder what kinds of benefits you may be entitled to in a workers’ compensation claim. The workers’ compensation system in Washington state offers a wide variety of benefits. The specific benefits you may receive in your claim will depend on factors including the type of injuries or occupational disease you are afflicted with, how long your recovery period is, and whether you suffer permanent impairments or disability from an injury or disease. Potential workers’ comp benefits include:

  • Medical benefits, which pay for the cost of treatments and rehab for a work injury or occupational illness
  • Travel reimbursement for eligible expenses incurred getting to and from appointments or procedures
  • Reimbursement for the cost of your personal property that was lost or damaged in a work accident
  • Wage replacement, which helps make up for the loss of income if you cannot work while recovering from a work injury or occupational illness, or if you return to work part-time or in a modified duty role that pays you less income
  • Vocational training that can help get you into a new line of work if your injury or occupational disease renders you unable to go back to your old job
  • Disability benefits that pay you compensation if you suffer permanent impairment to one or more body parts but are still able to work
  • Pension benefits that provide payments when you are permanently disabled from being able to do any kind of employment
  • Death benefits which pay compensation to the surviving family or dependents of a worker that dies from a work injury or occupational illness 

Filing a Claim for Workers’ Comp in University Place

University Place Workers Compensation Lawyer

If you are looking to file a workers’ comp claim after suffering a work injury or occupational disease, you will need to follow these steps:

  • Seek emergency care or see a doctor as soon as possible after a workplace accident or experiencing symptoms of illness
  • Promptly notify your employer of a diagnosis of a work injury or occupational disease
  • File your formal workers’ compensation claim with the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries, or with your employer if they self-insure for workers’ compensation purposes. Your self-insured employer’s human resources department can direct you on how to file your claim with your employer
  • Provide any additional information requested by L&I or your employer, including submitting to an independent medical examination if asked by L&I or your employer
  • If your claim is denied by L&I, file a protest of the decision within 60 days. Alternatively, you can appeal the denial of your workers’ comp claim to the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals within 60 days

Perhaps most importantly, you should speak with a University Place workers compensation lawyer as soon as possible after a work injury or occupational disease diagnosis to get the legal help you need to get your workers’ comp claim accepted. 

Contact Smith Duran Law for a Free Case Review to Go Over Your Options for Obtaining Workers’ Compensation in University Place

Don’t delay seeking Washington state workers’ compensation benefits if you were injured on the job. Contact our firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about what a University Place workers’ compensation lawyer can do to assist you with securing the financial compensation you deserve for a work injury or occupational illness. 

About University Place, WA

University Place is a city located in Pierce County, Washington. The city got its name in the 1800s after the University of Puget Sound purchased land in the community for a new campus, although the university ultimately sold the land back to the city. University Place was formally incorporated in 1995. Today, University Place is a predominantly suburban community, with residential and mixed business districts. The city is also home to the Chambers Bay Golf Course, which has hosted both the U.S. Amateur and U.S. Open golf tournaments.

Frequently Asked Questions about Workers Compensation in University Place

Can I choose my own doctor to treat my work injury or occupational disease? 

In Washington, you are allowed to choose your own treating provider for a work injury or occupational disease. However, the costs of your treatment will only be covered by workers’ comp if your provider is registered with L&I. You may also switch providers in the middle of your course of treatment so long as your new provider is also registered with L&I and the switch is approved by your claims manager.

How long do I have to file a workers’ compensation claim?

After suffering a work injury, you should notify your employer of your injury as soon as possible. Under Washington state workers’ compensation law, you have one year from the date of a work injury to file a workers’ comp claim with L&I. You have two years from the date that you were diagnosed with an occupational disease or informed that your disease may be work-related to file your claim. If you wait until after this statute of limitations expires on your claim, you may lose your right to receive workers’ comp benefits.

Can I collect compensation if I was hit by another driver while driving for work?

Yes, if you’re hit by a negligent driver while you’re driving a work vehicle during your work hours, you can pursue compensation through both a workers’ comp claim and a third-party lawsuit. Workers’ compensation will cover your medical expenses after a work-related motor vehicle accident, but it won’t cover other damages like pain and suffering. Third-party injury lawsuits, however, aim to recover full compensation for your injuries and losses, which can include things like long-term physical therapy, disfigurement, and diminished future income.

  • Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

    The Department of Labor and Industries manages claims for injuries at work. You are entitled to money for lost wages, medical treatment, vocational retraining, loss of body function, and in some cases a pension.

  • Personal Injury Attorney

    If your injury was caused by someone other than a co‑worker, an auto accident, or defective equipment, you may be entitled to additional compensation. Our personal injury attorney in Tacoma will evaluate your case.

TPCBA Award Black
WSBA Award
TCBA Award Blue
360-347-91422024 Smith Duran. All Rights Reserved.Disclaimer.Site Map.