Firm Logo

Top Workplace Injuries in Washington State 

January 01, 2023

Top Workplace Injuries in Washington State 

Workplace injuries are unfortunately a common occurrence for employees in Washington State. When you have suffered serious injuries on the job, you may be left with long-term impairments or permanent disabilities that affect your ability to earn a living. As a worker in Washington State, you need to know what are some of the most common workplace injuries and what you need to do when you are hurt in the course and scope of your employment.

The Most Common Workplace Injuries

Seven of the most common workplace injuries in Washington State include:

  • Musculoskeletal injuries of the upper body, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome, tension neck syndrome, rotator cuff injury, and tendonitis. These injuries are usually caused by repetitive and/or heavy lifting and constant vibration from motorized tools or equipment
  • Struck by or crush injuries, which occur when a worker is struck or crushed by a person, animal, or inanimate object (other than a vehicle)
  • Slip/trip and fall injuries, which result from striking the ground or hitting an object while falling to the ground
  • Overexertion injuries, which occur when a worker exceeds their physical endurance or performs some action or motion that exceeds their tolerance or strength. Overexertion usually results in strains or sprains
  • Crush/entanglement injuries, which involve a worker being caught, crushed, pinched, squeezed, or entangled between two or more objects or in between two parts of a piece of equipment or machinery
  • Injuries from motor vehicle accidents, including accidents that occur on an employer’s premises or on a job site, as well as accidents that occur while an employee is driving or traveling by road for a work-related purpose

Steps to Take after Suffering a Workplace Injury in Washington State

If you have been injured at work in Washington State, there are certain steps you need to take to ensure that you can receive workers’ compensation benefits to treat your injuries and make up for lost wages or income if you cannot work while you are recovering from a workplace injury. These steps include:

  • First, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible after sustaining a work injury. If you require emergency care or immediate medical attention, you can go to the hospital or to a healthcare provider of your choice, but you should remember to inform them that you were injured at work.
  • Be sure to notify your employer of your work injury as soon as you can so that they are prepared to complete claim paperwork when they receive it from the Department of Labor & Industries.
  • File your formal workers’ compensation claim. Typically, you will file your claim with L&I, although if you work for a self-insured employer you will file your claim directly with your employer. However, if your doctor or medical provider gives you a report of the accident after you inform them that you were injured at work, your provider will file the form for you within five days. A report of an accident must be received by L&I or your employer within one year of the date of a workplace injury. 
  • Check the status of your claim with L&I or your employer, and if you receive an adverse decision on your claim for benefits, file a protest of the decision or appeal the decision to the Board of Industrial Insurance Appeals.

Contact a Rochester Personal Injury Lawyer to Discuss Your Workplace Injury Case in Washington State

Were you or a loved one injured due to a workplace accident in Washington State? Don’t let the medical bills pile up while you wait for the negligent party or their insurance company to do the right thing. Right now, you need an aggressive workers’ compensation attorney on your side, fighting to get you the compensation you need, want, and deserve. The skilled attorneys at Smith Duran Law represent clients injured in Olympia, Lakewood, Auburn, and University Place. Call (360) 273-5941 or fill out our online contact form to schedule a consultation about your case. We have an office conveniently located at 10118 Highway 12 SW, Rochester, WA, 98579, as well as offices in Tacoma.

The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney-client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.

  • Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

    The Department of Labor and Industries manages claims for injuries at work. You are entitled to money for lost wages, medical treatment, vocational retraining, loss of body function, and in some cases a pension.

  • Personal Injury Attorney

    If your injury was caused by someone other than a co‑worker, an auto accident, or defective equipment, you may be entitled to additional compensation. Our personal injury attorney in Tacoma will evaluate your case.

TPCBA Award Black
WSBA Award
TCBA Award Blue
360-347-91422024 Smith Duran. All Rights Reserved.Disclaimer.Site Map.